Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Distance Learning



This week we have two articles to read.  The first one is called “College may never be the same” by by Mary Beth Marklein, USA TODAY.  This article talks about a higher education program called Massive Open Online Courses –MOOCs.  This a low cost program that offers university classes online.  The main concern is that after finishing the courses the students might get a certificate with the professor signature proving that they pass the course.  There are some universities as University of California, Berkeley, considering adopting this system and accepting the credit earns at MOOCs.   I think this is a model that could revolutionize the education system; I think it is very interesting and it will open the door to many people who could not go to class or afford to pay the tuition at a University.  I think it should be recognized as professional studies. 

My second reading is called “Modest Changes, Revolutionary Possibilities: Distance Learning and the Future of Education” by Gary Natriello.  This article discusses the revolution caused by the distance in learning education.  It called my attention and I think it is incredible that at this point in time there are some people, professors in the higher education that resist to the idea of learning online or distance learning.  I, myself, have taken many classes online that I could have not taken any other way.  I think that as technology keeps advancing there are going to be more and more opportunities to advance by taking advantage of the distance learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment